Tuesday, July 16, 2013

my baseball life...part one the begining

So I have to put my other story on hold while some of the details get worked out in the real world and in my own fucking head.

With that we are gonna tart telling the tale of my baseball life. A lot of my readers and fans from Livejournal and Facebook already know that baseball is a huge part of my life. For those of you not in the know I am a baseball coach. That started with coaching my son in Tball three years ago. I now coach multiple teams at different age groups and skill levels and am a member of my local Baseball association Board of Directors. It wasn't always like that three years ago I was just trying to find something my son could be good at and something for my family to be involved in.

Three years ago, right before his first baseball season started my son played flag football. He played in two different league through the Spring and Summer but he just didn't have that killer instinct you need for football. He is just too sweet a kid for all that. Maybe one day he will find that inside himself but three years ago it just wasn't there. Football wasn't his thing and as much as I wanted him to be a football player and as much as he was around football at the time I really hoped football would be his thing. It wasn't so we signed him up to try baseball. Tball to be exact and they were asking people to coach and I was like sure I can help coach be an assistant or something.

Like a month after sign ups I get a call from the league saying they need someone to step up and be a head coach. Now I may be a sports writer, and I may even take that job pretty seriously but until that point in my life I had never even considered coaching anything but I felt the need to be involved with my son as he found a sport he liked and was semi good at. So I agreed to become the head coach of my first tball team. Who knew how much that one decision would change my entire life.

I am not going to lie I was pretty nervous and I started watching all kinds of baseball videos on you tube to learn what drills to do and reading all kinds of advice columns on coaching teams. I didn't know then that you coach from the gut and if you keep your practices very regimented and structured the rest kind of takes care of itself. Well at least at that age level it does.

The first time I stepped out onto the diamond with a whistle around my neck and asked my collected parents for volunteers to help me coach...I had no idea how much that answer was going to change my life. I had no idea that just three years baseball would be such a huge part of what I do and who I am, and that all the good things in my life would stem directly from my involvement with my local baseball organization.

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment